Monday, October 24, 2016

The Little Things

Lately I have been reflecting on the fact that I have been in Mexico for 10 months. I can't believe it. Where has the time gone?! I have had a lot of mixed emotions about leaving in a little over two months. I am excited to return home to my family, my friends, and driving my car again. I am excited to know exactly how to eat healthy, as I have yet to figure out how to eat healthy down here. My bank account will be excited to be receiving a pay check again. But it's hard for me to imagine not seeing the 150 kids that I have grown to love, that I receive a million hugs a day from, who I have wonderful conversations with, the kids I have become comfortable with. It'll be weird to only be speaking English again, though I am excited to be able to fully express myself when I need to and understand every word of a conversation. I will miss traveling Mexico-- at first it was little hard, but it became a lot easier once I learned the language and bussing system. But part of my reflections has been reflecting on the little things that make being here all worth it: 

  • When the teenagers invite me to go out with them and explore downtown, go to the little convenience store down the street, or just walk around outside of the home.
  • When one of the teenagers asks me to help them with their homework and after explaining it, they then understand it. 
  • When someone comes up to me and asks to play frisbee because it's been too long since we have bonded over throwing a disk around. 
  • When I sit in a tree with one of the girls and we reflect on the value of being rich, not rich with money but rich in life moments and experiences.
  • When I go away for a long weekend and when a teenager sees me they run up, hug me, and tells me how much they missed me.
  • When I sit with a teenager and they open up about things they have been struggling with lately and I find out how exactly I can serve them.
  • When I introduce a few of my friends who came to visit and I can tell how genuinely excited the teenager is to meet them.
  • When I get to share the Gospel with a teenager and we have a good conversation about God. 
  • When they thank me for spending time with them and dedicating a year to serve them.
  • And finally, just sitting in the living room with them and watching TV. 
During my reflections I have come to learn that while the big events, such as Easter, Independence Day, and soon Day of the Dead and Christmas are all really important, the more important moments ones are the day to day experiences and lessons I get to share with my kids and I have become increasingly more and more grateful for these moments and them. Here is to the last 2 months I get to spend with them. 

About 85% of the teenagers after our Independence Day competition

No comments:

Post a Comment