Friday, January 13, 2017

Hasta Luego

I wish I could savor every moment I had in my last weeks in Mexico. I wish I could put them in a glass jar and never forget them. I wish I could relive them over, and over because they truly were the best weeks I had during the year I spent there. I think it's because I knew everything was getting real, that everything was coming to an end, and that I needed to cherish every last moment I had with the kids. There were a lot of tears, most of them on my end, and a lot of reliving the memories we had all made together. I think one of the favorite moments that was brought up was "Katie, remember when you arrived and you couldn't speak any Spanish?!" Nope, I do not remember that at all (insert heavy sarcasm).

I was lucky in not missing the holidays too much while I was away for them. I mean don't get me wrong, because I always missed my family, but I think of lot of it had to do with the fact that there wasn't any snow and it was the same 75 degrees it had been all year that made it seem like it was not really Christmas. Whether it felt like it or not, an NPH Christmas will be one I will always treasure. On the 23rd we went down to our little kid home and spent two days there so that we could all celebrate together. We didn't do anything too special during the days other than be present among one another. 

On the 24th we celebrated Christmas Eve in a very different way than I ever have.. we had mass in the stable! Can you imagine?! When I first heard that my instant thought was "que asco!" ("how gross!"), but one of my girls explained to me, "Katie, Jesus was born in a stable, so why wouldn't we have mass in our stable." I was grateful for her helping me refocus on the meaning of it verses the location. So even though we had a few strong whiffs of the pigs, it was my favorite mass I have been to in my life. In total darkness of the night, with only the moon, and candles alongside the aisles as light, I remember looking up at the stars and feeling so present that I didn't even care that I had a constant stream of tears flowing down my face. After mass, I saw the biggest firework display I have ever seen in my life, ate dinner with the kids, and then we returned to Cuernavaca and continued the night with a huge bonfire, a dance, and ponche and tamales (a traditional Mexican Christmas drink and meal). Everything about that night was absolutely perfect: the laughs, conversations, stories, silence, burning our hands trying to roast marshmallows. It was incredible and it is something I truly hope I never forgot. The next day was a time for relaxation and rest, so it was a great time for me to be able to Skype with my family and continue spending time with the kids. 



The rest of the end of 2016 is currently a blur, mainly because I had so many conversations, continued building relationships, and saying goodbye. I was constantly telling the kids on my last day with tears running down my face "It's not goodbye, it's hasta luego." The tears would keep flowing as they told me I was family, that I always have a home to return to, how much much they loved me and would miss me, and ways I affected their lives, and would give me a hug and a kiss. 

I wish I could have let every single one of them know how much they changed my life. How much they changed my outlook on brokenness and healing. How much they changed how I love and receive love. I loved them like I believe I would love my own children-- they made me happy, mad (though not too often), proud when they got 8, 9, or 10 on their grades, scared when I saw them wipe out playing a sport or doing a stunt that wasn't so safe, and overjoyed whenever we had a deep conversation. I couldn't imagine welcoming 2017 with anyone but them. We laughed, we danced, we hugged, and wished that we would have a prosperous year. 

I know that it won't exactly be the same when I go back, but I have only been gone for two weeks and I can't wait to return. I can't wait to receive 40+ hugs in one day, speak Spanish constantly, hear about what is going on in their lives, but most of all I can't wait to be present with them again. I am grateful for technology, shoutout to Facebook and Whatsapp, so I can keep in touch with them in between my vacations down south. But most of all, I am grateful for them.

Well, that is all folks. Thanks for following my blog for the past year. More than anything, thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout the year, encouraged me when I was in tears, and who listened to all my stories even though they don't personally know the kids, I couldn't have done it without you. I hope that it was able to provide a little more in depth of a look into the NPH volunteer life, but even more so I hope it will be assistance for any future volunteers. If you are thinking about volunteering with NPH Mexico in Cuernavaca, it won't be perfect nor smooth sailing, but do it. Your life will be changed in countless ways. Thank you God and thank you NPH.

Hasta luego y bendiciones,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment